29 October, 2010
In the continuing saga of developers pursuing the insane dream of making an RPG in a month....
It's looking like we won't make the end of the month deadline, unfortunately. But, we're going to do what any good game designer does when the rules are against them... cheat!
As I wrote last time, things were conspiring to work against us finishing the game on time. Mostly Dave getting some last minute sales of his personal game. So, while he was making a few hundred dollars, our game was being ignored by him. :( That's what you get for working with a French Canadian, I guess. ;) Okay, seriously, his game is very cool and rather original, it's unfortunate that people can't enjoy it without pointing out that obviously the graphics aren't cutting edge.
So, we're going to cheat. The rules are that you have to sell the game, so we're going to take donations. Okay, this isn't my idea, I'm pretty blatantly stealing it from Juuso over at GameProducer.net. But, hey, a good idea is a good idea; at least I'm giving a hint of attribution here! (So, throw some money at Juuso if you have any left over after donating.)
For those who haven't read the previous entries, The Fae's Wyrd is a single-player RPG in Flash. Since the orignial goal was to finish the game in a month, it's not the largest or most expansive RPG ever. It relies heavily on randomly generated features, such as mazes. So, don't expect Dragon Age level storytelling or level layout here. The game might best be considered a cross between the original Final Fantasy with a bit of Rogue-like level generation and items. The game absolutely will be finished sometime in November, probably early. The game is almost done, but still needs some tweaks and some sort of semi-intelligent enemy A.I.
Here's the simple backstory for this first episode:
Many potential champions were visited by ambassadors of the fae realm that night. The little ones told a story of an eternal battle against the endless forces of evil. Only the champions that dared enter the darker realm could safeguard not only the fae but the entire world. But to do so would require them to abandon their old life, never to return.
To each person visited a pact was offered: they could leave their life behind and take up this fight against the forces of evil. But, they would never again see their loved ones, only ever fighting eternally to protect those they left behind. Many turned down the offer, not wanting to leave their friends and families behind. Some, however, saw the nobility of the sacrifice. To those that agreed to the words of the fae, a rare and precious elemental shard was given to seal the pact. Now it is time for the champions to face the Fae's Wyrd.
What do you get with your money besides that warm glow of giving money to deserving independent game developers? Especially since the game is in Flash and going to be added to some portals in the future anyway? Oh, fine, you'll get some rewards for each level of donation. Each level also gets the features of the previous levels.
- Thanks! $1.00 You'll get our thanks in the form of your name on a special screen in the game. First come, first served.
- Extra Thanks! $2.00 You'll be giving us over $1 after PayPal takes their cut, so your name will be highlighted in the list.
- Early Access $5.00 Once we're done with the game and fairly sure it won't corrupt your hard drive or blow up your monitor, we'll email you with access to try out the game early. This will be limited before we find sponsorship.
- Hints and Tricks $10.00 You'll get an email with some tricks and cheat codes we've put into the game.
- Personal Thanks $25.00 You'll get a direct email from one of us thanking you for your generous donation in an effort to keep us fed. Edit: and you'll also get some digital artwork of some of the characters in the game.
- Wiki read access $100.00 Want to see how the sausages are made? You'll get read access to our Wiki for this game and perhaps for the sequel.
- Help design the sequel $250.00 Want to design games, but can't afford tuition for a degree in Game Design? Suggest a feature and if it's not too crazy we'll put it in.
All donations go through PayPal, which takes a 2.9% + $0.30 cut of each donation. If you don't want to donate in one of the pre-set limits, feel free to send a PayPal payment to email@example.com. If you hate PayPal but still want to give us money some other way, contact me at that email address to arrange another option. Or, if you're a Flash portal and want to sponsor the game, contact me and we can talk.
So, please, support indie game development. Or, if it softens your heart a bit, my birthday is this Monday, so consider it gift to the team.
Choose a support level below and click on the "Support The Fae's Wyrd" image below. Make sure you use a valid email address so we can reach you with any bonuses